A few weeks back in honor of Small Business Week, we asked you to send us a list of business questions you may need the answer to. We are honored when photographers come to us with questions we can walk them through in their steps to success. Being a business owner can be one of the toughest jobs around, and isn’t for the faint at heart. So, we are humbled and thankful to be guiding you through the process! We definitely don’t know everything there is to know (and are continually learning), but can give you guidance in what we have learned the hard way so you won’t make some of the same mistakes in the process.
1. How do you describe your brand? Clean, light, fresh, timeless… going to share in a blog post SOON my very FIRST marketing materials… be warned, it’s pitiful
2. Did you go to school to study photography? No, former Speech Pathologist. Just worked VERY hard (and still working) to perfect and craft our art!
3. How many weddings do you average per year, and do you have certain policies when booking? 20-25; we require a non-refundable retainer and a wedding contract to lock-in the date. The total is not due until 2 weeks before the wedding.
4. If you had to choose one lens which one would it be and why? 85 1.2 It gives the soft imagery that I love so dearly; the dreamy effect our clients love!
5. Do you outsource your editing? Yes, we are currently using The Album Design
6. How do you stay inspired day to day? My friends, husband, and mostly my faith. Prayer has gotten me through many a rough time, and brought me to the name of the business, Green Tree Photography. Based upon Jeremiah 17:7,8. I find that when I’m in a slump, if I give my mind rest through prayer, the Lord brings me to the next focus for life and business. Feeling refreshed!
7. I get really nervous before a photo shoot with my clients, do you have any tips to help with that? When we meet, I ask them questions about themselves. How they met, what they love about one another, the proposal, etc. I will incorporate those tips in the session to get them thinking about the love that brought them to the place they’re at. I do guide them into poses, but talk behind the camera to get real, raw expressions, and be my silly self that seems to put them at ease =)
8. What ways do you market your business? SEO, building lasting relationships with clients and other like-minded professionals, and going by Luke 6:31; The Golden Rule. ‘Do unto others as you would have them do unto you’. Be fair to people, and treat them with love and respect, as I would want. They appreciate you for it =)
9. What products and/or companies do you use for your clients? We use a handful of companies that we have researched that fit our brand well. You can see more of our photography marketing materials HERE!
10. Have you made Sundays a non negotiable “non work day” in your business? If so, how has that worked for you? Yes, absolutely. Sunday’s are a MUST for time-off. We typically only schedule ONE wedding a weekend. With that said, there have been times when we booked a Friday and Saturday, but Sunday’s are not a question. It’s our only day off, and rest and time at church is needed!
Hope this helps and answers a few questions on your journey as a professional. Hang in there, keep smiling, and be nice! It always wins in the end =)